My photo
Aspiring writer, avid reader and cat enthusiast.

Thursday, October 06, 2011

Change (your socks every day).

Life is a funny old business.
At the moment, mine is completely different to what it's been for the past 18 years, and this massive change has given me reason to think about that.

From what I've gathered, as children, we take our carefree existence for granted; as teenagers, we can't wait to get out there and start being independent, and escape stuff like our mothers nagging us about how a plate of baked beans for dinner every day is not acceptable, and nor is throwing the freshly laundered pile of clothes we were just handed into the rubble at the bottom of our wardrobes. And then one day, we pack up our possessions and head off somewhere new. And that night, in our lonely new beds, we wonder why we ever left.

In my worst moods here, I find myself wishing I could go home, shut the front door on the rest of the world and never venture out again. At times like these, I find it hard to accept that now is the time for me to start looking after myself. It seems incredibly unfair that I'm not able to stay at home all day, reading Harry Potter, play-fighting with my dad and watching the Great British Bake-Off with my mum.

It frustrates me how change disturbs me so much. I can't handle it at all. And yet without change, there'd be no point to anything. Nothing would ever have happened. Life is change.

At my age, this is the time where everything changes. In a way, it comforts me, knowing that although none of my friends moved abroad like I did, they're all going through drastic changes as well. For some of them, the distance issue is just as great as it is for me. For others, they may be closer to home but finding themselves lonelier than usual - not seeing their old friends every day. It's difficult, but exciting all the same.

As for me, I'm looking forward to striking a balance between home comforts and independence when I start University in my home county, Yorkshire, next September. And thankfully, this time I'm spending away from home right now will prepare me for what's coming, and I should be able to face that with no issues after facing something like this.

So I suppose I'm saying what everybody always says. Change is difficult, but necessary, and useful in many ways. How very grown up and philosophical of me. But what I wouldn't give to be sat at home, with my Mum and Dad, like we used to.

*

And from the sublime to the ridiculous, according to my Spam inbox, I've just won $1,500,000.00 for the second time this month. I can finally afford my unicorn! ^^

Lessthanthree.

No comments:

Post a Comment